Identity revealed of "shirtless" FBI vet who started the Petraeus e-mail probe
New info in the story, from his point of view:
1. Shirtless pic was a humorous thing from several years ago.
2. Agent is a highly regarded pro.
3. Colleague: It is hard to believe that Humphries had contacted elected officials about the case because "everyone knows that's professional suicide" and Humphries is "top notch."
4. He has no romantic interest in Jill Kelley.
It's a good thing that he got to present his side of the story because many people, including me, were probably exaggerating or misunderstanding the importance of details like the shirtless pic, but the truly important questions were not addressed:
1. Why did he or anybody at FBI originally think the everyday e-mail catfight, which now seems to us like the interaction of notes passed in class between high school girls, warranted the use of FBI manpower? Was there more to it than what we have seen, or does this mean the FBI needs to hire millions of agents to investigate the everyday insulting online interaction of ... well ... pretty much everyone with a pulse.
2. Why did he later contact elected officials when the case stalled? (Or did he? His lawyer "declined to confirm or provide any details at all regarding Humphries' alleged contacts with the offices of either Rep. Dave Reichert, R-Wash., or House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va.")
3. Why was he removed from the case?