Derek Carr joined the 500 club
He was 40 for 59 with 4 TDs, no picks - and the Raiders almost lost. They needed OT to beat the Bucs, despite outgaining them, 626-270 from scrimmage.
Reader's note from the comments section: "Another record worth mentioning: the reason the Raiders almost lost is they gave up 200 yards on 23 penalties. This broke the 74-year-old NFL penalty record, set by the Brooklyn Tigers in 1944."
As of today, 18 QBs in history have pulled off a 500-yard game, yet nobody has really made a good run at the Van Brocklin record of 554, which was set 65 years ago. The second-highest total is 527.
Despite the fact that nobody has ever come within 25 yards of the record, I still feel that this record is doomed to fall soon, because 500-yard games are now happening much more frequently. There have been ten in the past six seasons, although it took SIXTY seasons to accumulate the first ten. Sooner or later one of them will inch up to the record.
Other interesting facts about 500-yard games.
1. Y.A. Tittle once passed for 505 yards and 7 TDs, but only threw 39 passes!
2. Tony Romo once passed for 506 yards and 5 TDs on only 36 attempts.
3. Ben Roethlisberger once passed for 522 yards and 6 TDs. He and Drew Brees are the only QBs to reach the 500-yard milestone twice.
4. Drew Brees passed for 511 yards and 7 TDs less than a year ago. In his other big game he only had two TDs.
5. Two TD's is not the lowest total ever achieved in a 500-yard game. Phil Simms once passed for 513 yards, but only 1 TD.
6. Phil Rivers holds the record for the most attempts in a 500-yard game - 65.
7. The Packers have been the victim of 500-yard games three times, all in the past seven years: against Rivers, Stafford and Roethlisberger.